Dryness is caused by low secretion of saliva from salivary gland. There may be numerous reasons for dryness such as medication, dehydration or hormonal changes. Secretion of saliva keeps away bad breath, mouth sores, loss of taste, chapped lips, rough tongue. Here are few tips:
• Keep Hydrated: Increase fluid intake by consumption of water, juice, smoothie, green tea, sugar free beverages.
• Fennel Seed: Munching of fennel seeds can increase saliva secretion.
• Aloe Vera: Rinse your mouth with aloe vera juice then wash your mouth with normal water. Alternatively, you can drink 2 teaspoon of aloe vera juice daily to cure dry mouth.
• Oil Pulling: Swirl coconut oil for 10 minutes and then rinse with normal water. Brush your teeth.
• Cayenne Pepper: Rub cayenne pepper for a while on tongue, this can increase salivary secretion.
• Lemon: Citrus fruits can add secretion of saliva and also has anti-germicidal effect.
• Ginger: Chewing a small bit of ginger can help in salivary secretion.
Points To Note:
• Avoid consumption of alcohol.
• Avoid use of sugary chewing gum instead use sugar free chewing gums.
• Avoid use of mouthwash with alcohol content.
• Try to breathe through nose.
• Add decaffeinated beverages as caffeine has drying effect on mouth.